New in Jena

To become a resident of Jena, you will need to report to the citizens’ service centre (Bürgerservice) within 7 days after arrival.

The citizens’ service centre is in the city centre at Löbdergraben 12 or in the Lobeda-Ost district at Richard-Sorge-Straße 4. Here, you will also find several services by different offices such as the immigration authorities, the vehicle registration centre and driving licence office.

German ID card German ID card

EU citizens

EU citizens are only required to register at the registration authorities if they intend to remain in Germany for more than 3 months.
You will need to show your passport or ID card. At the registration authorities, you will need to fill in a form about your intention to stay. In general, EU citizens receive confirmation of their freedom of movement within two weeks. To receive it, the post-box at their flat or house must be labelled with the EU citizen's surname.

Citizens of non-EU countries

Please note the visa regulations. After arrival and registration at the citizens’ service centre, you will need to apply for a residence permit for the purpose in question from the immigration authorities at Richard-Sorge-Str. 4.


To do so, you will need the following documents:

-biometric passport photo (35 x 45 mm format)
-confirmation of registration from the citizens’ service centre
-rental contract
-proof of health insurance cover

University campus University campus


-student ID card
-certification of length of course (can be acquired from the International Offices at the Friedrich Schiller University or the University of Applied Sciences)
-document confirming funding of the course (e.g. bank account statement, declaration of undertaking, proof of grant)



-employment contract
-confirmation of salary or wages (if already available)


↑ top

JenTower, photographer: Toma Babovic
Further Information
Visa for Germany - The Federal Foreign Office answers FAQ
Citizens’ service centre
Löbdergraben 12
Sascha Eidner
tel.: +49 (0) 3641 49-3710

Citizens’ service centre
Richard-Sorge-Straße 4
Sascha Eidner
tel.: +49 (0) 3641 49-3710

Immigration authorities
Richard-Sorge-Straße 4
Karin Holdschick
tel.: +49 (0) 3641 49-3762